Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Reivsions Revisions

My eyes scan the page briefly. My lips pull into a smile as I admire my work. 'It's perfect.' I think as I proudly hand the paper to my instructor. Three days later, my so-called masterpiece is returned, wounded by a million marks, scratched in red ink. 'Wow, I really thought I did better on this....'


Revision is a crucially important role of academic writing, in fact, it's dire in any writing. It is incredibly important and of great value to reread your work when you feel it is complete. Revising gives you a chance to fix awkward wording, elaborate on points that were previously overlooked, and/or fix grammatical errors. I find peer editing to be especially helpful, considering I may not find fault in things that others would notice. Personally, I feel like I tear into a peer's paper when I peer edit, however, I would prefer someone mark up my paper rather than leave it unscathed. The way I approach it, the more edits, the more my paper can be improved.

Prior to English 101, I rarely revised my papers. I figured that my first effort was likely my best, and I was often too lazy to search my compositions for flaws. This may have been because I typically did not notice my errors, or realize if I had written something that did not "flow." Peer revising in this class has truly taught me to appreciate revising and editing in my academic work, and for that I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Cool post Lauren! I like the title!

    You would think we would be able to see our own mistakes in writing, right? Well, I wish we could. It's amazing, some of the simplest errors on a paper can be completely over-looked by the author!

    ReplyDelete